Thursday, April 5, 2007

Family

Family means a lot to me. True Family, the idea of "family", carries my personal values to their utmost. Although I'm lucky enough to have experienced Family with fellow members related by both blood & bond, it is my belief that Family has nothing to do with biology.

We were fortunate enough this year to continue our family's 30-year tradition once again on this night. There were some circumstances that could have derailed tonight's annual dinner, but luckily the tradition went on and we remembered in spirit those who could not be here literally. Really, it is a dinner like any other except for the night's inspiration and what it means to those in attendance. Those people are Family, gathered at table and sharing in food & drink.

Sometimes, the dinner is very formal, with courses and protocol. Other times we just get a mess of food and we sit back and enjoy. Every time, there is ritual. It is the one day & night where the head of the family acts as patriarch. He takes care of every aspect of the meal so that all his loved ones can relax and enjoy the experience. The rest of us delight in each other's company and look to the good. This is the time for Family to take refuge in being a family, above all else.

We take refuge in each other throughout the year, whenever we need support. This night is the place where we dedicate & acknowledge the sanctity of our bonds, even if we do it silently. And we realize who is a part of our family.

There are grandparents, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, cousins, and friends. And a family member is not limited to being just one of those, is not limited to blood relation. When I call someone, "Brother" or "Sister", I mean it as sincerely as possible. I am more than lucky in the fact that I use those terms of endearment often and towards many people.

I am more than lucky that I will always have family members who can help me continue this tradition, no matter who they are. Food & drink at a table... it is a simple, common occurrence, just like family. Yet, its depth is so great. This is even true for lighthearted moments. Perhaps my appreciation of the simple is why, in my view, I understand and have such a great relationship with the emotional and the spiritual. Whatever it is, it works for me.

I'm so fortunate to be carrying on these traditions in this Family.

No comments: