Thursday, August 2, 2007

Stream -- Gifting her with music...

Note: This is a stream of consciousness piece written in one session and printed with minimal revisions.
Gifting her with music was not my intent, and I still believe I did not do that. I did, however, want to hear the music in her, and I do believe I accomplished that. I'm excited, sitting here and waiting to hear her very first set ever, as I know what the small, intimate audience is about to receive. As her grandfather, I know she's had music from a young age, very young. As her friend, I have needed strongly to help her express that fully, and without obligation to me of any sort. Now, you could say I am her sponsor after these last months.

Hard to believe it was that long ago I gave Olivia her guitar. I didn't bother wrapping it. I sat in my apartment, awaiting her usual visit, and did a little tuning and then a little strumming in the darkened room. Liv knocked her unassuming knock and entered. "Hi Grandpa Oberon," she said. It was like her smile flipped the light switch. "Hello sweetheart," I said, "how bright you are. Come and sit with me." She didn't know what to think of the guitar. Liv knew I had the ability, but I don't think she expected me to bother anymore. She, herself, had played all her life and had plenty of friends to borrow guitars from, but it was never more than a hobby. I aimed to change that, or more accurately, give her the tools. She was thrilled.

Everything about Liv is sensible. Her clothing is usually standard, looks nice on her but nothing showy. She did well in school and got her college degree, and moved into a steady job. She has a nice group of friends that anybody's parents would love. The most risqué thing about her is the navel piercing (we don't mention anything to her folks about the tattoo above her shoulder blade... yet). Point being, at 23, she does and has done everything right in her life. Olivia does it the way I raised her mother to raise her. But she didn't have that damn guitar, and I wanted her to have that damn guitar, because she should have it. She always does the things people do, but then people didn't put the music in her.

And so, her visits consisted of drinking tea and chatting, strumming and songwriting, all with me. What a gift to an old man. I only asked her to do it the way she wanted without looking to my approval. Liv didn't need any training. Over the months, I saw something innate. When she finally told me of the gig, I was thrilled.

There is no dressing room here, just a private bathroom off the bar and kitchen. Liv is there, finishing up getting ready. I sit at a table off to the side but closest to the small stage. I have the guitar. The other tables are full and the beauty of the settings starts to set in. The only advice I gave to her was to wear comfortable shoes. So, when I hear the sound of her favorite $5 flip flops, I know she's coming to get the guitar. I turn round and see before me someone beautiful. She looks completely non-sensible, wearing a short lovely dress with hair and makeup done up, but there is that same smile. And the lights in the room go on.

She sits at the mic and says, "Hello, I'm Liv Oberon." She looks at me and winks... what a stage name. I'm swept up in the whole scene and I look forward to hearing her music.

No comments: