Monday, June 11, 2007

The long road to a finished work.

I'm not one to say how writing, or art for that matter, should be done. I can only speak for myself and the methods that work best for me. Many writers work in many ways. Some write from scratch without a notion of what is coming next. Others brainstorm, prewrite, outline, and plan everything out in amazing detail. Many revise and rewrite regardless of method. I would hope that most would agree the method is second to the act of creating something.

Personally, I think an analogy of piloting an airplane (how about an F-16) would be best for my style. I like to take off suddenly and just get up in the air to fly. I probably have no idea where I'm going. Then, once the initial thrill settles, that's when I draw up my flight plan. I'll execute that plan, but I reserve the express right to deviate if I see the need. At last, I lead when I'm good and ready. So the FAA probably wouldn't like that and not too many people would want to ride with me, but it works for my writing style.

There is a cliché of advice that is often said about writing, "Write what you know." I'm really on the fence about it. As far as story elements and the plot go, this phrase is very safe, but for me, writing is where I leave the safe zone. On the other hand, the emotional and thematic content of what I know is easily applicable to an otherworld of fiction.

My writing mostly assumes a good world. It is a complete range of harmony and dissonance that makes things great. And I try to depict that. There must be a complete version that includes pain & suffering, difference, and challenge within the broader picture. In order for this to be authentic, I feel these qualities should be born out of true experiences in my life. This is where a gift can be both a blessing and curse. I'm thankful for the inspiration that strikes. Unfortunately, however, it can come with consequences.

So, I am now on the long road to a finished work. Part of that involves feeling up to writing. My flight plan is set. Now, it's a simple matter of getting to my destination and landing. Let's go there.

No comments: