Thursday, July 5, 2007

Song Series: "The Stone" by Dave Matthews Band

Today, I introduce a new feature to the blog. I will use the Song Series to give brief interpretations of some of my favorite songs. Today's edition is from the Dave Matthews Band album: Before These Crowded Streets. Here are my impressions of "The Stone".

The song is divided into two basic tones. The rhythm of the music gives an idea of the back-and-forth between them. The dissonance tells us that they are at odds. The verses represent to me the nagging tug of reality. Indeed, there are lines like "I will go a long way from that fool's mistake/And forever pay, no run, I will run and I'll be okay" and "I will go a long way to bury the past for I don't want to pay/Oh how I wish, this, to turn back the clock and do over again". Our lives are full of mistakes and they probably wouldn't be worth living if we didn't make a few. Some are more serious than others, so we face that inner conflict of knowing we deserve the consequences but also trying to find a way out. I'm sure every person has had a situation they wish they could run from or start over.

In fact, that is an inescapable quality of this world. Perfect in its imperfection. I really believe in that. The truth of it is, in my eyes, one of the main ways we are defined is by getting thrown into the muck and digging ourselves out. The verses present feelings that occur in the moment, but looking outside-in, I'm able to say that I wouldn't be who I am without the tough stuff and the need to strive beyond it. I think this is the reason there is so much ambivalence in each verse.

Whereas the verses give us conflict, the chorus offers a sense of serenity within a relationship between two individuals. The song is quite ambiguous in terms of deciding how much of a romantic element is involved. However, my personal belief is that it is a relationship between lovers. The lyrics read "I was just wondering if you'd come along/Hold up my head when my head won't hold on/I'll do the same if the same's what you want/But if not I'll go, I will go a long way".

This part is sung in what could be described as a loving tone. There is a hope for a relationship of mutual love and the emotion of if you want to be with me I want to be with you but if not I'll be fine on my own, which is often found. That's when we're hit by the last line of the chorus which bleeds into the first parts of the verses, furthering the tension between the safety of the relationship and the harshness of the real world.

The irony of this idea is that I believe the tension can be broken. That ability rests within the individuals and their choosing to do the "mutual love" part and not the "I'll be fine on my own" part. I believe strongly in inner strength and independence, but I also think that strength often needs additional support. The best relationship, for me, makes me believe in myself even more.

And so, I think the song implicitly gives the answer to the problem it presents. The two tones, the two worlds, in the song are separate and at odds. The answer? Yes, that's right... put ‘em together. Combine the two. Introduce the harshness into the relationship. That sounds weird, but I'm talking about that thing we don't really like doing. Share how that makes you feel. In addition, introduce the relationship into the real world. Let yourself trust in someone else even when you're in the muck and alone. It's difficult, hence the song, but it's something I know I need to do. I take comfort in the way the song ends. A beautiful, and unmistakably positive, set of strings fading into silence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been so long since I've played this album--it was fun to dig it out again. I really enjoyed your thoughts about "The Stone," especially the idea of how separating the tension from the serenity can't work--the two sides have to be fused for growth. You're right--it's a great song ending, too. Looking forward to the next song in the series!