Thursday, October 4, 2007

Snow in South Pasadena

"Grams, this is so cool," he said, at least five times. I was able to get up and spend some time with my nephew and niece the other day. We invited my sister-in-law to bring them over because there was a commercial being shot, no doubt, for the Christmas season. It was snowing, in a way, in South Pasadena. My four-year-old nephew was in heaven.

There were trucks galore, all kinds of equipment, and it was really cool for him to see the two houses dressed up for Christmas. There were two or three cherry pickers that he really spent a lot of time watching, although when he first heard about coming over, he was worried because we had no cherry trees. His eyes lit up when we pointed out that the driver was all the way up in the basket, moving his vehicle down the street. Soon my nephew saw how the production used the cherry pickers as they took up cameras for various shots and air hoses to help spray out the snow. "Uncle Jon," he said, "this is awesome."

I think back to what a magical time it was for me when I was four. When I watch my nephew, I'm amazed by how much a boy at that age understands, and I know it was probably the same for me. It was the age I asked my godfather if he "remembered when we were fishermen" and I do not doubt his assessment of my consciousness, if you will. A four-year-old knows many things, and in some ways, appreciates more things than older people do. More things are special and cool and awesome. There is still magic. One thing that is true, especially for this nephew, is that they know when they are given responsibility and they treat it responsibly.

At eight years old, I actually played in a commercial. It was nothing like the one we watched together the other day, though. We gathered on the porch, my niece and nephew, their mother, their grandparents, and even their uncle. We ate while the production was set up, and while my nephew ran around and observed like the foreman of a construction site. Of course, my niece behaved and ate like a prim and proper young lady, or maybe it was because she's still young enough for the high chair and had no escape. My nephew was more of a challenge, but I gave him his props once he got a whole helping of applesauce down. And at last, the biggest treat, the biggest desert besides the candy corn, he got to walk down the street and stand by the directors. I hope he gave his seal of approval. He certainly gave it to us.

"Grams, this is so cool."

1 comment:

laserman said...

Hey John,
I've read every post and while some have ticked me off (the continuing reference to that University),some have chilled my body and mind with your journey through the medical world, some have confused me as I'm not as bright as you, but the Snow - Family - Magic post reminds me what a special guy you are. Even if you are a Trojan!
Pete